The holday season is the perfect time to do a lot of cooking for both parties with friends and dinners with family. Did you know, however, that the single greatest cause of house fires is cooking?
Do something to protect yourself this holiday season and educate yourself on the top ten ways to stay safe as you cook that big meal.
1. Don’t wear loose clothing or sleeves that dangle while cooking.
2. If you are frying, grilling or broiling food, never leave it unattended – stay in the kitchen.
3. If you’re simmering, baking, roasting or broiling food, check it regularly.
4. Use a timer to remind yourself that the stove or oven is on.
5. Keep kids and pets away from the cooking area.
6. Keep anything that can catch fire away from your stove, oven or any other appliance in the kitchen that generates heat.
7. Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to prevent grease buildup.
8. Consider purchasing a fire extinguisher to keep in your kitchen. Contact your local fire department to take training on the proper use of extinguishers.
9. Always check the kitchen before going to bed or leaving the home to make sure all stoves, ovens, and small appliances are turned off.
10. Install a smoke alarm near your kitchen, on each level of your home and near sleeping areas. Use the test button to check it each month. Replace all batteries at least once a year.
Consider downloading our free First Aid App for quick, expert advice on what to do in case of an emergency.
Have a happy and safe holidays, everyone!