Are you part of a business, school, or organization which would like to improve emergency prepardness?
American Red Cross’s most recent studies have found that more than half of Americans don’t feel prepared for an everyday emergency, let alone a catastrophe. Because emergencies can happen at any time, there is a need to be prepared.
The American Red Cross Ready Rating Program can help.
This program is free and self-paced. It helps businesses, schools, and organizations to become better prepared for emergencies. Members complete a self assesment describing their level of prepardness. They then have access to tools, tips and best practices to impove their level of prepardness.
Many disaster prevention tips are discussed. Disasters the program covers include tornados, tsunamis, wildfires and winter storms. Emergency prepardness is also discussed for small businesses.
Here are a few simple tips the Ready Rating Program gives for thunderstorm prepardness:
1. Learn about your community’s emergency warning system for severe thunderstorms.
2. Discuss thunderstorm safety with all members of your household.
3. Pick a safe place in your home for household members to gather during a thunderstorm. This place should be away from any windows and glass doors.
4. Make a list of items to bring inside in the event of a severe thunderstorm.
5. Get trained in first aid and learn how to respond in emergencies.
Want to find out more about how to be better prepared in a disaster?