Download this spiffy activity book for the kids:
Then, get the family together to prepare and have fun while doing it!
One neat trick for parents:
Disinfecting bleach is important for disinfecting surfaces and making water drinkable.
To Disinfect Surfaces: Use 1/4 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water, or as directed on the label, to disinfect hard, nonporous surfaces in your home.
To Disinfect Water: If you need to purify water during an emergency, (and don’t have the means to boil it for 3–5 minutes), you can disinfect your water using bleach:
- For clear water—add 8 drops (1/8 tsp.) of bleach per gallon of water
- For cloudy water—add 16 drops (1/4 tsp.) of bleach per gallon of water
Mix the solution thoroughly and let it stand for about 30 minutes before using it. Properly treated water should have a slight chlorine odor. If it doesn’t, repeat dosage and allow water to stand an additional 15 minutes. The treated water can be made drinkable by pouring it between clean containers several times.
Thanks to Gloria Huang at the National American Red Cross for this post.